Winters are here and it’s the perfect time to include healthy ingredients in your favourite sweet and savoury snacks. You can choose both taste and health in the cold weather as there is no dearth of seasonal delights that can be turned into lip-smacking recipes. Unlike popularly believed, even people with diabetes can indulge in a wide range of winter foods that can be consumed without worry of their blood sugar levels going out of control. The important tips here is to avoid all processed food items and eat high-fibre foods, whole grains, fruits and vegetables among other things that will help control blood sugar spikes. Eating right food at right interval can definitely help you manage diabetes with ease during winter. (Also read: Diabetes: 6 tasty and healthy recipes to keep blood sugar levels in check)
Chef Gaurav Malhotra, Sr. Sous Chef, The Ashok Hotel, New Delhi suggest delicious and healthy winter desserts for people with diabetes.
1. OATS & AMARANTH FIRNEE (SUGAR-FREE)
Oats – 40 gm
Amaranth seeds – 80 gm
Milk – 1 litre
Sugarfree – 20 gm
Green cardamom powder – ½ tsp
Sliced almonds – for garnish
Chopped pista – for garnish
– Wash amaranth seeds well and soak in water to cover generously for 30 minutes.
– Lightly roast oats in a frying pan and gently crush with hands.
– In a thick bottom pan take milk boil for some time, add amaranth seeds cook for some time till it is soft.
– Add roasted crush oats and cook for some more time.
– Add cardamom powder and sugar free.
– Serve in sakora garnished with sliced almonds and chopped pista.
2. RAGI BESAN BARFI (SUGAR-FREE)
Gram Flour (besan) – 200 gm
Ragi Flour – 100 gm
Desi ghee – 250 gm
Sugarfree – 25 gm
Elaichi Powder – 02 gm
Almond – 50 gm
Pista – 25 gm
Cranberry – 50 gm
– Take a kadai, add desi ghee and heat for some time. Now add besan and ragi flour and cook for 20 minutes on low flame.
– Once you get the aroma of cooked besan, add chopped almond, pista and cranberry.
– Now add sugar free, green cardamom powder and mix well.
– Let it cool for some time and put the mixture on to a tray.
– With the help of a butter paper, level the mixture evenly on the tray.
– Garnish with slices of almonds, pista and cranberry.
– Cut into squares of desired size and serve.
3. MULTIGRAIN ATTA LADDOO (SUGAR-FREE)
Whole Wheat Flour (atta) – 250 gm
Desi Ghee – 200 gm
Sugar Free Powder – 100 gm
Green Cardamom Powder – 01 gm
Multigrain (oats, flax seeds, melon seeds, til) – 200 gm
Chopped almonds – 25 gm
Chopped cashew nuts – 25 gm
Chopped Pista – 15 gm
– Take a kadai add desi ghee and heat for some time.
– Now add atta and cook for 15 minutes on low flame.
– Once you get the aroma of cooked atta, add multigrains and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
– Now add sugar free powder, green cardamom powder, almonds, cashew nuts and pista. Mix well.
– Let it cool for some time and divide the mixture into 20 equal parts and make balls out of it.
– Multigrain atta laddoo is ready to serve.